Tuesday 4 July 2017

Book Review: Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

I love a good old book-to-tv or book-to-film adaptation as much as the next person, so when I heard that HBO were turning this little wonder into a TV series, I HAD to get my hands on the book and read it first. I am incredibly glad I did.



I’ve read Liane Moriarty before, having read her The Husband’s Secret a few years back and absolutely LOVING it, as well as reading and reviewing Truly, Madly, Guilty last year (but unfortunately not loving it all that much.) Because of this, I was a little bit sceptical as to whether or not I would enjoy it. Because of the hype, I was even more cautious but very willing to be proven wrong.

The story is set around the lives of three women- Madeline, Celeste and Jane – in a small beachside community. They have very different lives: Madeline is a hilarious, sharp and witty character, overwhelmed when her uncaring ex-husband moves into the area and sends his daughter- a daughter whom he fathered the way he ought to have, unlike their own- to the same school as her own young child. Celeste is beautiful, the kind of woman that makes you stop and stare, but harbours a secret that doesn’t bear thinking about. Her twin sons attend the same school, in the same class, as Madeline’s youngest. Jane is a sharp contrast to these beautiful and intelligent mothers – a young girl, clearly unsettled by something that has happened in her past, new to the area.

Someone has died, but we have no idea who.

Who committed the crime? We have no idea on that either.

I was instantly transfixed and pulled into this story because of those two little details. In fact, I was bloody captivated by everything about this book. It read like a book of about 200 pages and I found myself having to physically force myself to put it down for an hour here and there, to savour it for longer, to make it last the day rather than devouring it all in one foul swoop. The characters are incredibly believable and the book was just darn FUNNY. It’s very rare when a book like this one- with MURDER as its main plot line- makes me laugh out loud on the regular. I loved the way that the story alternated between differing perspectives and included witness statements of the main event – an event we don’t find out about until the very end of the tale. Everything comes together and there are absolutely no gaps in the plot; every single thing is accounted for and actually makes sense. I absolutely LOVED Madeline’s character and I’d honestly say that she is everything I aspire to be in life: hilarious, loving, fashionable.

This one of those books where you just want to forget every single aspect of it-  just so you can read it and enjoy it all over again. It covers a lot of pretty difficult themes: mental illness, motherhood, single parenthood, rubbish parenting, domestic abuse, murder. You name it, it’s probably included. But that’s what makes the book so great: it’s relatable, it’s dark and it touches on issues that need approaching. It does this in a beautiful and thoughtful way.

I’m officially back on the Liane Moriarty bandwagon.


5/5 (Mate, I’d give it 6/5 if I could.)