Saturday 19 May 2018

Book Review: Oh My God, What A Complete Aisling by Emer McLysaght and Sarah Breen

It’s very rare to find a book that is both comedic and has a decent story line. As a youngster, I went through the Bridget Jones phase and never did I think I would find a book that resonated with me in the same way. Growing up, I thought I was very much a Bridget Jones kind of girl – clumsy, unfortunate and ready to make a fool of myself at every possible opportunity, through absolutely no fault of my own, of course. Having been treated to Oh My God, What a Complete Aisling by friends Emer McLysaght and Sarah Breen has changed my view – I am not a Bridget, I am very much an Aisling.

Aisling is the girl that plays it safe – Aisling wears kitten heels for comfort’s sake, the daughter of a hardworking farmer and a country girl through and through. She has a solid group of friends both at work in the ‘big city’ and in her hometown and has had a steady, long-term boyfriend for a good while. After a romantic getaway turns into a hellish break after she realises that her boyfriend is –never- going to propose to her, she decides that enough is enough and ends the relationship. Breaking up with John gives her the push she needs and after about five minutes of deliberation, moves in with her friend in the centre of Dublin and sets about living as a newly single woman. Add in a work based scandal and a new potential love interest and things really have started to spice themselves up for ‘vanilla’ Aisling.

Aisling is a hilarious character and I really found myself attached to the characters – once I got used to the Irish names, that is! You can’t help but love Aisling and her story, feeling sorry for her when she is at her lowest points and yet excited when the good things happened.  The book is laugh out loud funny but has a heart-warming touching side, dealing with deeper issues such as grief and the different ways it is shown. I absolutely flew through the pages, finishing it in the course of an afternoon and wish I could go back to the beginning and reread it all over again for the first time.



Thanks to Jenny at Penguin for arranging the tour and for my copy of the book – I would recommend it to lovers of Bridget Jones (or not!) alike. Definitely a 5 star read.