Monday 23 November 2015

Book Review: The Sisters - Claire Douglas



It’s been a while since I’ve done a book review- uni has stopped me from reading for pleasure as I constantly have French literature to devour for my classes, but I thought I’d treat myself to some “me” time this weekend and managed to crack through a psychological thriller.

I bought “The Sisters” by Claire Douglas about a month back as part of my October book haul as part of the amazon 3 for £10 deal. The book definitely stood out to me, principally because it was a psychological thriller and I’m seriously into those at the moment, but also because the plot sounded ridiculously exciting and something I could really get my teeth into. 

The book introduces us to Abi, one-half of a set of twins. We learn that her twin sister Lucy has passed away in a car crash and that since then, Abi has moved away from London to Bath, presumably to escape the history associated with her sister's death. She meets Bea, a beautiful charismatic and energetic character who bears an uncanny resemblance to her deceased sister. The girls become instant friends, and it isn’t long before Bea is introducing Abi to her twin brother, Ben. As to be expected in a psychological thriller, things start to get mysteriously unsettling and Abi finds herself doubting herself, Bea and Ben before everything starts to spiral out of control. 

I found myself really connecting with Abi’s character and I had nothing but absolute sympathy for her throughout the entire novel. I can’t even begin to imagine what it’s like to lose a sibling, let alone a twin, and this was depicted in a beautiful and thoughtful way. Ben’s character irked me from the word go for some reason and I found myself hating him even when I didn’t want to. I also loved Nia and her strong support network.I found certain parts of the book were incredibly tense and I got through the book ridiculously quickly, considering I only had the time to read during the evenings. It was, to use the cliché, unputdownable and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good old psychological thriller. I guessed towards the end what was going on and why but that definitely didn’t make it any less of a good read. 

I’m very much looking forward to seeing what else Claire Douglas has to offer in the future. 


4/5. 



Follow me on goodreads here, if you like!