Wednesday 16 March 2016

Goodreads: March Currently Reading




My March To-Be-Read list is a little bit on the late side, as we’re currently more than halfway through March but I thought I’d post it anyway for those who were interested. I’m sticking to my monthly target of three books, which is working quite well for me whilst I don’t have an awful lot of time to read for pleasure. I’m currently on a book buying ban (and probably will be for the foreseeable future) so these are three books that I bought a few months back and never got around to picking up. 


The Woman Who Stole My Life - Marian Keyes
I picked this book up as part of the Vipers Book Hunter Challenge and I started reading it at the beginning of this month. I’m just over halfway through it and I’m absolutely loving it so far. I’ve never read anything by Marian Keyes before, in spite of her being such a big name in the literary world, mainly because I remember my mum reading her books when I was younger and I kind of associated her writing with older women (even though my mother can’t have been older than 30 herself at the time). This one was published at the end of 2014 so quite a new publication really, and I’m really glad that I took a step back from my presumptions about it being for the older woman and gave it a go. It is definitely NOT an old lady book. It’s fast-paced, exciting and I love the split in the narration between the present day and the past. No doubt this one’ll be included in a future summary review as it’s an absolutely cracking read.

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
This is a book that has repeatedly referred to in my French literature lectures throughout the course of my (4 year) degree,  so I thought I’d give it a go and see what all the fuss was about. I’ve read about a chapter of it so far, it is quite heavy going but that’s reflective of the time but I’m not NOT enjoying it as things stand. It’s a really short read so no doubt I’ll get this one finished off fairly quickly when I put my mind to it properly.


The Bees - Laline Paull
When I lived in Strasbourg, one of my friends was reading this book. He recommended that I give it a go so I added it to my ever-growing amazon wishlist and forgot all about it. This is another I purchased a few months back with the intention of reading straight away but again, life got the better of me and I never had the chance to start it. I still haven’t started reading it, but university breaks up for the Easter holidays at the end of this week so I’ll have ample opportunity to start a new read. 

What are you reading at the moment? Let me know in the comments!