Friday 11 March 2016

Food: Almost Famous, Liverpool*

About a week ago, I received an email from the lovely Steph at Liverpool Bloggers asking about an event that was taking place at Almost Famous. I’ve never been to an event before and I’m a bit shy when it comes to meeting new people so I nearly almost didn’t respond to the email requesting bloggers to take part, but I thought for ONCE I’d take myself out of my comfort zone and get involved in the more social side of blogging. I’m stepping a bit out of my comfort zone in terms of this review as well but after the fun involved with my Lunya review, I was keen to get into the habit of reviewing restaurants and edge my way slowly into the lifestyle side of blogging! 

 I got there a tad early (and by a tad I mean about 25 minutes early) but the staff in Almost Famous were absolutely lovely and saw to it that I was taken upstairs to the little room where we’d be getting started. The absolutely FABULOUS Tim looked after me whilst I was waiting for the others to arrive and he really put me at ease with his chatter (and a few shots of the naughty stuff as well…) as I was honestly REALLY nervous about meeting everyone. I shouldn’t have worried as everyone who attended (Steph, Olivia, Jemma, Codie and Renee) was absolutely lovely and we seemed to all get on like a house on fire. Tim made us all what Almost Famous called “Bitch Juice, “ a mixture of fruity happiness and gin (the best mixture, as far as I’m concerned…) I’m not sure if this cocktail is an Almost Famous exclusive but it was bloomin’ delicious and absolutely lethal. Us girls all had a chatter as we were drinking these drinks, with good ol’ Tim pushing little blueberry flavoured shots in our direction sporadically. 


Part of the package that Steph had sorted out for us included actually making our own cocktails, which was absolutely fantastic. We made two cocktails each, out of a choice of three different ones: Breakfast in Tennessee, which was a mixture of Jack Daniels, Banana Liqueur, Blueberry syrup, Cinnamon and lemon juice; Gin Floozie, with its Gin, grapefruit liqueur, peach bitters, club soda, orgeat and lemon juice concoction and finally El Bramble, a tequila and blackberry based cocktail. I went for the Gin Floozie and El Bramble and they were both absolutely delicious. They cost £7.50 to buy normally in the restaurant which I think’s pretty reasonable for such fab tasting cocktails- the bartenders definitely don’t go easy on the booze either. The entire cocktail making session probably lasted for about an hour, maybe slightly longer, and by this point we were all absolutely starving and buzzing at the thought of devouring one of those tasty burgers! 


Again, the waiting staff were fantastic. We were quickly shown to a table which had been saved especially for us and we were offered the choice of three meat based burgers- the Famous Burger, the Triple Nom, the River Phoenix) or else the Veggie choice of one called the “Brittany Murphy.” Whilst we were waiting for our burgers to arrive, we were brought out trays of battered chicken wings and 3 different types of fries (including the AMAZING bacon bacon fries, which I believe is their speciality. Confession: I would go back to Almost Famous time and time again JUST for these fries. Orgasmic.) I chose the Triple Nom burger, which I was surprised to discover when it arrived had not one beef patty but two and the largest pile of pulled pork I’ve ever seen. All of this was topped off with a dollop of some of the nicest tasting coleslaw I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating and was encased in a brioche bun (which unfortunately I didn’t manage to eat as the rest of the meal was so damn filling!) The pulled pork was perfectly tender and tasted absolutely incredible, the burger itself was one of the best I’ve had in a while and combined the taste was absolutely ridiculous (in the best kind of way!) I did have to take the burger apart as it was piled so high that just picking it up was a challenge in itself, but that didn’t make me enjoy it any less, if I’m honest. The burgers are priced between £8 and £10 which is good value for money as far as I’m concerned and the fries come in at between £2.50 and £5.50, which considering the portion sizes were massive is more than acceptable! The fries are “all shaken with wonderdust” which, if you’re a northerner like I am, you’d probably associate with tasting like red salt. 

I honestly have no bad words to say about the entire experience. The staff were professional, entertaining, polite and managed to keep 6 VERY excitable young women under control for the best part of 2 and a half hours, so hats off to them! I’d like to thank the lovely staff at Almost Famous, particularly Tim for being such a fabulous host and also give a massive thanks to Stephanie for arranging everything and being such a genuinely kind person! I had an absolute blast and can’t wait to get involved in events like this again!