Sunday 27 August 2017

Goodreads: What I Read in August

Goodreads: What I Read in August | Hollie in Wanderlust | Book Bloggers

August found me doing the one thing that I have struggled to do for a long, long time: actually sticking to a book ban and not purchasing a SINGLE book. It was hard and I almost failed on a few occasions, but I came out at the other side with my pockets much more full and my shelves much more manageable. I set myself the task this month of only reading books that I already owned and had waiting for me on my shelves and I had quite a good month of reading.

The first book that I read (and ADORED) was We Are Okay by Nina LaCour, which is arguably one of the books of the year so far. I reviewed the book in full here if you want to check it out and I thoroughly recommend a purchase of this one if you’re interested in the YA genre and want a beautifully written and thought-provoking read. My words don’t quite give this book the justice it deserves but it truly was something that you have to read to understand and fully experience.

I was lucky enough to go and stay with one of my friends in Germany at the start of the month and of course, I took a few books along for the ride with me. Before leaving, I ploughed my way through some of the beautiful poems in Sarah Kay’s No Matter the Wreckage anthology. I love poetry but don’t often get the opportunity to sit down and get stuck into it so this was a welcome change from fictional texts.

I started and finished Levels of Life by Julian Barnes on a train from Nuremberg to Munich (and back again) and like Barnes’ more famous text The Sense of an Ending, this was a book that I devoured and loved more than I could describe. I can see myself jumping onto a Julian Barnes marathon and purchasing some of his other books when I’m finally out of this book ban because his style is probably one of the most beautiful I’ve ever come across.

One of the books I’m going to be teaching around this year is The Iron Giant by Ted Hughes. I loved this story so much: it was funny, warming and just a lovely end to a lovely trip. It was short and sweet. I did get a few weird looks off people on the train for reading a kids book, but WHO CARES? Children’s books are for everyone! I can’t wait to start planning my lessons on this one!

The final book I read this month was another beauty: The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. I’ve had this book on my shelves for a long time and whilst the cover is beautiful, it never really appealed to me. I bought it on a bit of a whim because everyone everywhere was going on about it but just threw it on my TBR pile and forgot about it. Having recently heard EVEN MORE HYPE about the book, I chucked it in my suitcase for my trip to Germany just in case I finished the other two books I’d packed (which I did.) I was absolutely blinded by this book. It was beautiful. The writing style is gorgeous; I was reminded a little of Daphne du Maurier, in fact; and the storyline moved along at exactly the right pace. I loved the characters and pretty much everything about it and I’m quite annoyed at myself for having waited so long to finish reading it. I 100% recommend this book to absolutely everyone and anyone. I’ll be reviewing in full in the coming weeks if you want to read a little more about it before making the purchase! Definitely one of my reads of the year.


What have you read this month?