Thursday 14 July 2016

Book Review: The Summer I Met You by Victoria Walters


About a month and a half back, I received review copies (yes, two!!) of The Second Love of My Life by Victoria Walters. I reviewed that one here but spoiler alert: I absolutely loved it. I got in touch with the lovely Victoria straight after I finished regarding her short story and the likelihood of it being published as a paperback. I’m a bit of a paperback lover and I’d much sooner read an actual physical book than an e-book, but unfortunately she informed me that kindle was the best I was going to get. I decided to like it or lump it and downloaded it straight away (it was a bargain at 99p!) and man, am I glad that I did.

I’ve had a crappy few months, with the final stresses of university exams falling down on me like a ton of bricks. I wanted a relaxing, easy and enjoyable read to sit down with after a day in the library and The Second Love of My Life was definitely that. I started The Summer I Met You, Victoria’s short story, just as my exams had finished and I was still in that wind-down phase. It was exactly what I needed.

I’m not ashamed to admit that I finished it in about an hour. Granted, it is a very short one, around 60 pages. The story follows the characters introduced to us in The Second Love of My Life and it was really nice to get to know these characters even further. Except, in this one, the central focus was on Emma and John, as opposed to Rose. I loved reading about their love story and I love that this one is a little prequel to a book which I already loved so much. There’s not much I can say about 60 odd pages, but I wanted to get this little review out there and further plug The Second Love of My Life as I honestly have such an incredible love for this book. I don’t think it really matters which order you read them in as you get to know the characters independently of each other, and there aren’t really spoilers in either of them!

You can get copies of both of these on amazon! At the moment, I’m pretty sure you can snatch them up for 99p each! If you take ONE piece of advice from any of my reviews, then please take this one and support an author who honestly deserves the recognition for her beautiful writing!