Tuesday 20 September 2016

Book Review: The Secret by Kathryn Hughes



September has been a bloody heavy month for me, let me tell you that for free. I’ve not had a lot of time to sit down and devour a good book. Unfortunately today, I woke up and was sick so I took advantage of my forced day in bed and got one of the books I had on the go finished. The lucky book was The Secret by Kathryn Hughes and I’m happy to say that after a false start, I quite enjoyed this read.

I say false start because the first 80 or so pages confused the bejesus out of me. I kept muddling up the characters and getting confused as to which storyline related to who but once I got that all figured out in my head, the book was pretty darn good. I absolutely loved how the story kind of full circled and everything and everyone mentioned was relevant in one way or another.

The characters were interesting and I enjoyed how they all had their individual tales – there wasn’t a character I particularly disliked throughout the entire story which is rare for me. I normally find someone who does my head in so it was a bit refreshing actually liking all of the characters, to be honest.

The story is centred around two time shifts, both important to the story and central to the “secret”, that Mary, the recently deceased character, has been keeping for the entirety of her adult life. The secret itself isn’t all that tricky to work out but the ways that Hughes goes about getting you to the reveal is incredibly well done and makes the story one that you just HAVE to finish. The story starts off in the present day, where we learn that Mary, the mother of Beth, has recently died. Beth has no idea who her father is, her mother’s husband passing away just months before she was conceived. Unfortunately for her, her son requires a lifesaving kidney transplant and neither her nor her husband are a match for his blood type. With the help of her husband, Beth investigates deeper into the mystery of her father’s identity in the hope that he can somehow save her child’s life.

I have to say that it’s not my usual type of book, I tend to go for psychological thrillers or else YA sob-fests but I enjoyed this one as if it fell into those genres. It was nice to go a bit out of my comfort zone and have a go at reading a genre that’s relatively unfamiliar to me- it’s been a while since I’ve read a general contemporary fiction.

Thanks so much to the team at Headline Review for my copy of the book! As always, it is much appreciated!


I’m excited to get stuck into my next book, Kids of Appetite by David Arnold, also published by Headline review and somehow salvage my September reads!




Follow