Friday 30 September 2016

Goodreads: A Classic a Month

I love a good classic piece of literature. I’d argue that a couple of my favourite ever books are classics and I’m never one to turn down reading another. I decided, as part of the little blogger’s series theme I’m sticking to at the moment, to do a little “A Classic a month” contribution to the blog. The premise of the idea is pretty simple: every single month, for the foreseeable future, I’ll be treating myself to a good old read of a classic. It might be a modern and contemporary classic, or else a classic from hundreds of years ago. It’s a little challenge to me to broaden my horizons a little bit and try some literature that I might have otherwise not bothered with. It’s also an opportunity to re-read a few of my favourite books.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

In September, I started (and didn’t finish, what a bad book blogger I am!) Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I’m only a couple of hundred pages into it so far, but I’m absolutely loving it. I LOVE the style of writing that du Maurier uses throughout and I’m excited to work out where the novel’s headed. I’m VERY suspicious of Mrs Danvers, the housemaid at Manderley, although I’m not quite sure WHY I’m suspicious of her yet. I definitely think I’ll be reading more of du Maurier’s work when I’ve got myself through Rebecca – I hear that Jamaica Inn is just as good as Rebecca, albeit a different theme, so I’ll be adding that one to my to-read list ASAP.

I’m also looking forward to giving Hemingway a go. He’s an author that has intrigued me for a while, but I don’t think I’ve ever read anything by him. I want to reread my favourite book, Notre Dame de Paris (i.e. the Hunchback of Notre Dame) at some point over the course of the year, too.

What books should I be adding to my list? Let me know some of your favourite classic reads down in the comments!  


Follow