Friday 5 May 2017

Travel: Un tour de la France en Cinq jours - Part 3: Avignon

Here I am finally with a very belated conclusion to my Tour de la France en cinq jours series – disgustingly belated, in fact, when you consider the fact that my trip actually happened in February and here we are in MAY. MAY. Someone give me a kick up the behind! It was actually my booking ANOTHER trip to France that prompted me to get up to date with this trip – so thank my spontaneity for this little city guide!

Travel: Un tour de la France en Cinq jours - Part 3: Avignon | Hollie In Wanderlust

The final part of my trip was the longest stretch of my stay in France – a visit to the beautiful city of Avignon, in the South of France, to visit a friend of mine that I met whilst living in Strasbourg. His lovely girlfriend Blakley was ever so hospitable and put me up for two nights in her lovely little studio, which made life (and the trip) so much easier! I’ve been to Aix-en-Provence and Marseille before, cities that are relatively close to Avignon so I kind of knew what to expect in terms of architecture and climate.

Travel: Un tour de la France en Cinq jours - Part 3: Avignon | Hollie In Wanderlust

Avignon is a lovely little place – and it really is little. Joe met me from the train station and gave me a quick whistle stop tour of the city as we walked back to Blakley’s apartment, and it became quickly apparent that it wouldn’t take long to see all of the main tourist attractions. I dropped off my bags and freshened up before Joe and I wandered around the main city square in search of somewhere to get dinner. We found a lovely little Italian restaurant and ordered one of the tastiest pizzas that I’ve ever eaten in France (and this is saying a lot; the French have a very unnecessary obsession with putting emmental on their pizzas…). We accompanied pizza with wine and then went off to one of the squares to meet some of Joe’s friends for cocktails and frites.

Travel: Un tour de la France en Cinq jours - Part 3: Avignon | Hollie In Wanderlust

Travel: Un tour de la France en Cinq jours - Part 3: Avignon | Hollie In Wanderlust

The next day, we got up relatively early to tackle all of the amazing sites that Avignon has to offer. One of my customers at work, a fellow Francophone, advised that Avignon has the most amazing Papal palace and told me about how the Pope, at one point in history, chose Avignon to relocate to away from the Vatican City. I absolutely love history so this was something that I definitely wanted to check out. However, breakfast took precedence so we wandered around the food markets in the Centre Ville and ordered Pain au chocolat to go.

Travel: Un tour de la France en Cinq jours - Part 3: Avignon | Hollie In Wanderlust

The Papal Palace was absolutely phenomenal to visit. I was quite lucky to visit Avignon on a very sunny day- the temperature actually surpassed 20 degrees in February!- so wandering around meant being able to tan a little bit. All good, as far as I’m concerned. We didn’t go inside the Papal Palace but seeing it from the outside was more than enough for me- the palace is surrounded by the most beautiful grounds (where we later relaxed with books and snacks)- and the building itself is both colossal and magnificent to look at. We were also able to see the Pont d’Avignon (as made famous in the song!), a bridge that crosses halfway across the river Rhône. It’s made up of four arches, the rest of which were destroyed during the Crusades. If you’re interested in history like me, this is a pretty cool thing to go and have a look at. We decided at this point that lunch was a good idea and let’s be honest- you can’t go to France and not eat croque monsieur at least once, can you? I ordered a normal croque monsieur, and Joe went for an Alsacien variation. Neither of us really want to let go of our Alsacien background! Joe then showed me around the University of Avignon, including sneaking me into their vast library, before we felt the need to go and get MORE food. This time crêpes were on the menu and my word, they were delicious. I spent the rest of my time in Avignon hanging out with Joe’s lovely friends over even more food; Blakley and his friend Hattie put together the nicest little spread of food. I felt incredibly welcomed into their group and couldn’t have spent time with a nicer group of people.

Travel: Un tour de la France en Cinq jours - Part 3: Avignon | Hollie In Wanderlust

Avignon was a treat to visit- it wasn’t the usual city that I’m used to visiting in France but it has its charms and was definitely worth my time in getting there. It was lovely to catch up with an old friend and get a taste of a new culture, all at once. Thank you to Joe and Blakley for the amazing hospitality- you two are lovely and the favour will definitely be returned when you visit Liverpool!

Have you ever visited this part of the South of France? 
If you want to check out the rest of my trip: